Consent to Travel Letters

Best Notary services in Edmonton and Calgary

Consent To Travel Letters may be necessary if you are planning to travel abroad with a child, especially in situations where you:

  • Are the lone parent of the child.
  • Have shared custody with the other parent.
  • Are not the child’s parent (relative or family friend).

In these circumstances you may require documentation that supports the parental consent of travel and specifies you as the caretaker of that child. These documents are known as Consent to Travel Letters or Parental Consent Letters and are strongly recommended by Passport Canada when planning foreign trips.

It is also strongly recommended that, along with written permission by the other parental party, Consent to Travel Letters be certified, stamped and/or sealed by the proper notary authorities. If you intend on traveling with a child and require such certificates, notary services in Edmonton or Calgary can easily handle this document process, ensuring there are no surprises when passing customs at your travel destination.

What do I need for a Consent To Travel Letter?

When preparing for your appointment it is ideal to give yourself 2-4 weeks to present documentation at a top Edmonton law office. If the child in question is traveling with one parent, the non-traveling parent must attend the notary appointment and bring with them a completed, but unsigned, Consent To Travel Letter as well as a valid piece of photo identification. The letter will be signed in the presence of a top Edmonton lawyer who can then certify the document.

If the child is traveling without either parent, both parents must attend the notary appointment with a prepared Consent to Travel Letter, unsigned, along with valid pieces of identification. At this point a top Edmonton lawyer can verify the agreement for the child’s travel and certify the documents.

Contact the top Edmonton notary services
to plan your child’s safe travel.

If you are planning a trip alone with your child, or traveling with someone else’s child, contact an Edmonton or Calgary law office featured on this site to book an appointment to certify a Consent To Travel Letter. It is simple process that ensures your travel plans are uninterrupted as you pass customs at your foreign destination.

Contact an Alberta Notary Lawyer Today

M. Robert Mackinnon, B. Sc., LL.B.
Edmonton Notary Lawyer
McGlashan & Mackinnon – Edmonton Commercial Lawyers

Robert has been and continues mostly to be a general practitioner. He practices in a broad range of the legal areas, including residential and commercial real estate, construction and real Estate Litigation, family law, corporate and commercial, civil litigation and Wills and estates.
Brian McGlashan, B.A., LL.B.
Edmonton Notary Lawyer
McGlashan & Mackinnon – Edmonton Notary Lawyers

Brian McGlashan, co-founder of McGlashan and Mackinnon was called to the Alberta Bar in 1995. Brian has appeared in all levels of Alberta Courts. Brian practices estate law and notary services in Edmonton.