Are your selling your home in Edmonton this year?
If you are selling a home in Edmonton, there are a number of things you should consider when dealing with a private sale between you and a buyer, or when dealing with an Edmonton real estate agent. The following is a list of considerations you should make when selling your home. If you are unclear on any of these points you should consult the best real estate lawyers in Edmonton to clarify your sales position.
Checklist for selling a home in Alberta
- Make sure that your Offer of Purchase and Sale makes specific reference to which Chattels are included or excluded from the transaction (e.g. light fixtures, mirrors, appliances, drapes, etc.). If possible, even include serial numbers of these items.
- Can the home warranty be assigned to a Purchaser? Have you made any major improvements or recent upgrades to the house recently (e.g. replaced furnace, installed new roof, etc.). Are the original blue prints, house plans, and property line documents available to a Purchaser? Such documents can remove any doubts or misunderstandings throughout the sale process.
- Confirm commission payable to the real estate agent, in writing. This should state who is responsible for it and when it is payable.
- Have both parties agreed to reasonable time limits for any matters which have to be completed or complied with before closing.
- If your Offer to Purchase requires that you provide the buyer with a Real Property Report and compliance certificate, this should be ordered as soon as possible to ensure that there is sufficient time before closing to obtain any additional permits which may be required by the local municipality.
Contact The Leading Calgary & Edmonton
Real Estate lawyers to assist your property sale
If you have any questions about the listed items featured above, or have additional questions that are not covered on this page, please contact any of the featured top Edmonton real estate lawyers to answer any questions. Buying or selling a home can be one of the largest decisions and transactions you will make in your life. It is important that you cover off all points and protect yourself in throughout the transaction. The assistance of a top rated Edmonton real estate lawyers can add the guidance and advice required for the process.
Contact an Alberta Real Estate Lawyer Today
|M. Robert Mackinnon, B. Sc., LL.B.
Edmonton Real Estate Lawyer
McGlashan & Mackinnon – Edmonton Real Estate Lawyers
Robert has been and continues mostly to be a general practitioner. He practices in a broad range of the legal areas, including residential and commercial real estate, construction and real Estate Litigation, family law, corporate and commercial, civil litigation and Wills and estates.